Journaling has become one of my favorite forms of self-care. For me, I appreciate it because it encourages me to face the thoughts and feelings that I’ve been avoiding all day. I am definitely one to suppress my emotions just to put on a smile, so journaling gives me the space for self-reflection and venting. Though, as much as I enjoy pouring my heart out, for some, this form of writing can seem like a daunting task.
However, a date with your notebook does not have to be some sort of huge formality or become a big ordeal in the slightest. In fact, your journaling experience should not at all feel like a meeting with your shrink. Instead, it should be viewed as an easygoing outlet that is there for you whenever you may need it.
To make the entire act of writing even less intimidating, you don’t even have to use an actual diary or notebook as your journal anymore. I have discovered a plethora of apps that allow you to write from your phone. Convenience and comfort is key, friends.
I’ve actually gotten quite attached to one app in particular, called Journey. Journey gives its users daily prompts and programs to follow, and even has a section where you can keep track of your mood and physical health statistics.
Although it has many neat little features, this app is not at all overwhelming or difficult to use. On the contrary, it is absolutely perfect for those who are newer to journaling and don’t know where exactly to start, since it gives you a bit of guidance at first.
So, similar to what Journey has to offer, I decided to compile a list of prompts here on my page to inspire some self-reflection and induce a moment of self-care.
- How are you feeling in this exact moment?
- What are you thankful for?
- What is something that you miss?
- What is your biggest fear?
- List your rose, thorn, and bud (one thing you’re happy about, one thing you’re sad about, and one thing you’re looking forward to).
- What do you imagine your life to look like in ten years?
- Who do you admire the most?
- What is your favorite quality about yourself?
- What is your biggest goal in life?
- What things have you been doing/can you do to work towards that goal?
- Who is your biggest inspiration?
- How do you practice self-care?
- What would your dream board look like? (And, if you want to take this a step farther, create one!)
- Give yourself a much-needed compliment.
- Write a letter to your 10 year old self.
- Write a letter to yourself in 10 years.
- What keeps you sane?
- What is your favorite pastime?
- Write about the last time you cried.
- When do you feel the most at peace?
- When was the last time you felt fully confident in your abilities?
- Describe one of your favorite childhood memories.
- What does a perfect day look like to you?
- Who do you turn to for advice?
- How do you typically start your day?
- What are you most proud of?
- Who is someone that has positively impacted your life?
- What is something you want to say “yes” to more in life?
- What is something you need to say “no” to more in life?
- When do you feel the most comfortable in your own skin?
- Reflect on a time that has caused you pain. What did you learn or take away from this experience?
- What does love mean to you?
- What is something you regret? Write it down and then rip it to shreds.
- What is something you want to work on to improve?
- List five things that make you smile.