I don’t know about you, but I always see these BEAUTIFUL photos of smoothie/acai bowls plastered all over my Instagram explore page. (Then again, maybe that’s just because I’m obsessed with stalking through food accounts.)
I always used to make smoothie bowls at my friend’s house after we got back from the gym. Well… I suppose I truly wasn’t the one making them. My friend would simply give me an assortment of ingredients to choose from, and then mix up the creation herself. The bowls always turned out tasting, and looking, amazing.
However, when I moved back to school (away from my smoothie goddess of a friend) and tried to recreate these bowls myself, my first few attempts were absolute failures. Even with the same ingredients that we used, I still always ended up with too thin of a consistency or too chalky of a texture.
That is, until a few days ago.
I finally was able to able to master my own smoothie bowl creation!
So, to prevent others from going through this same trial and error process, I decided to share my recipe for all of you aesthetic breakfast-seekers out there.
For the actual smoothie bowl, add the following ingredients to a blender in this order:
- a handful of frozen fruit
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1/4 c. of oats
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp. flax seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp. nut butter
- protein powder of your choosing (I like using 1 scoop of Orgain Protein Powder)
- a splash of your choice of milk (if you add too much milk, your bowl may be too thin and runny for toppings!)
- flax seeds
- chia seeds
- shredded coconut
- sunflower seeds
- fruits (berries, sliced bananas, strawberries, blueberries, etc.)
Super Easy Directions
- Using a blender, add all of the ingredients in the order displayed above– making sure to add the milk last
- Keep adding oats, frozen fruits, or nut butter if the consistency seems too runny
- Pour into a bowl and add any combination of toppings of your choosing
Lastly, don’t forget to take a pic for the ‘gram and enjoy ;)