I don’t know about you, but I always see these BEAUTIFUL photos of smoothie/acai bowls plastered all over my Instagram explore page. (Then again, maybe that’s just because I’m obsessed with stalking through food accounts.)
I always used to make smoothie bowls at my friend’s house after we got back from the gym. Well… I suppose I truly wasn’t the one making them. My friend would simply give me an assortment of ingredients to choose from, and then mix up the creation herself. The bowls always turned out tasting, and looking, amazing.
However, when I moved back to school (away from my smoothie goddess of a friend) and tried to recreate these bowls myself, my first few attempts were absolute failures. Even with the same ingredients that we used, I still always ended up with too thin of a consistency or too chalky of a texture.
That is, until a few days ago.
I finally was able to able to master my own smoothie bowl creation!
So, as someone who has been through enough trial and error, I decided to share my recipe in hopes of helping out those struggling with their aesthetic breakfasts like I was.
- a splash of any kind of milk (if you add too much milk, your bowl may be too thin and runny for toppings!)
- protein powder of your choosing
- 1/4 c. of oats
- 1 tbsp. of nut butter (I’m obsessed with sunbutter)
- 1 banana, sliced
- a handful of frozen fruit (OR a few ice cubes if you’re out of fruit)
- 1 tbsp. of chia seeds (optional)
- a spoonful of ground flax seed (optional)
- flax seeds
- chia seeds
- any type of nuts
- shredded coconut
- sunflower seeds
- berries/other fruits
Super Easy Directions
- Using a blender, add all of the ingredients at once– making sure to add the milk last.
- Keep adding oats, frozen fruits, or nut butter if the consistency seems too runny.
- Pour into a bowl and add any combination of toppings of your choosing!
Lastly, don’t forget to take a pic for the ‘gram and enjoy ;)